Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Electronic girl

In the darkness when all's asleep, I creep up to my laptop and found myself tapping keys to update my blog and cyber down my thoughts.

This post is particularly special because it's being typed in by my new laptop. I probably told the tragic story of how my old laptop stopped working once too many times but I shall type it all out to share the pain. My Sony Vaio Laptop FE series kind of passed away slowly after I did a hardcore anit-virus scan. Since I hadnt scan the laptop in weeks or months after plugging in various thumbdrives, hard disc, emails, msn sharing and downloads; did the full scan down of the system.

The anit-virus dug out 3 to 4 virus files named, 'WIN32.' To my knowledge(after I deleted those files), these kind of files do actually have an disabling effect which affects software and hardware in different cases.

In my case, after I deleted those files which I thought was normal virus file forms such as 'worm' or 'Trojan Horse' my laptop took a 'fall.' The next day I came to realize the graphics was a grade lower. Thinking I could get it fixed over free time back at school's IT helpdesk, I lived with the hazy displays. My 'Shift" keys gave me problems the next time I switched my laptop on, it's weird at times to think not 1 but 2 shift keys cant work at once. But then again, the tracks of the shift keys may be linked mechanically and electronically, so one fault will lead to both the malfunction. At that time it got me thinking, school's not going to be of help since now it's a hardware problem.

To add in to this adversity, the warranty was vaild only for a year, my laptop's 2 years old - just 2 years by the way. As I was busy with others plans and work called upon me, I dragged the problem living with no CAP letters at the start of each sentence and others; one recent post was typed on that laptop, the last it did. The laptop gave up after I swtiched it on about 2 days of non-usage after all that's happened. I could not even enter the Clt, Alt and Delete keys to access main desktop display and had to force it to shut down by holding the 'on/off' button for a few seconds.

Alarmed at such stages this virus does to my laptop was painful. It wasnt only the pain in the pocket from the price my mum had to put in to purchase it but it was also the 2 years of sentiment. All my time with it, school, home, doing projects, creating vids, doing presentations, watching movies and blasting music. My actions were to bring it to school to see if they have some disc or codes which they could enter into my laptop through it's 'backdoor.' It couldnt, therefore a reformat disc was the final bet. It seemed like it was working, my hopes got me to forget how hungry I was missing my usual lunch time for this.

However, I was called back way too early to collect my laptop since I knew reformatting would take at least 3 hrs, it was only half an hr. The problem - the CD driver stopped working after awhile, it was okay but it stopped after spinning a few rounds. It was all the same after I rushed down to Sony @ Wisma. For an uncertain excellent recovery result of my laptop I had to get it checked in to Sony's technical team which will then inform me what they think is wrong and how must it will cost. Sounds to me the the 'think' is wrong part is an assumption and the 'cost' an estimate. The price of the repair with a slight more top ups could get me a new set with better updated technology, so it was a decision to make. If I do check it in with Sony to wait and see the estimated cost it will take about a week or to check it in without going on with the repair, will be a $65 service charge plus darn GST.

My mum decided to get me a new one, (I realized awhile ago, it's a very long technical story of mine but let me let it out eh!) So appropriate for the IT fair to fall just in time for some comparisons and considerations of brands and models. IT fair didnt have the effect it had on 740 thousand people than it had to me, the only thing was the free gifts which wasnt really a good deal at all, to think of it because in a way it's all under the cost you are paying, get more gifts because of the fact you are going to have to pay more isnt it? Going through the ugly manner kind of crowd, the mass production of electrical goods just for it wouldnt make it all special and nice. It was a real travel to Best Denki to set out for a choice of either a Fujitsu or Sony. Ended up at Sony Paragon despite what has happened. This proves that the brand, realibility, marketing skills and accessibility plays a huge part. CS series was what I got, it runs on a 4G RAM, the space of 250G and speeds at 2.26GHz, bluetooth, HD audio and LCD display, recovery system and a whole lot of smart tech for about a slight more of half of what my mum paid for the pervious laptop which crashed on me.

Now the fear is to format it to a new OS which I think isnt an upgrade just a format by school so as to enable me to sit for my test for the final year. Since this laptop brand isnt what school is totally firmiliar with some of my laptop drivers may stop functioning, such as Audio and/or Camera. I'm pretty delighted and I would say fortunate to have a new laptop and having the choice is most important. I thank the Lord and my mum the most for everything, every effort in getting me this new one. Besides some nags, feeling bad/sad and the heartache from the pocket hole, it's really nice to think of me, my well being in school and all- big thank you mum and dear Lord. Also to all who cared for my laptop, gave suggestions and patiently wait to make up my mind like my Dad, Sis, Baby, Sarah, Daryl, Gab and Uncle. Another fear it's that this new laptop has to go through the final year with me which means, more Engineering programs to be running, more places it has to go due to class/s and FYP which leads to increasing care for it. Oh well, it has to be taken care of and be kept well always anyways.

I will have to decide if the rescue is still on for my old laptop because it will be such a waste, the components in there are very much fresh given the way I dont stress my laptop out with games and hardcore design programs or anything much. Moreover, the home can put the laptop into good use as well.

What are the things in this world of ours in general can we do without getting MONEY invovled!?(I meant doing happy things and getting out there enjoying, so on.) I dont have a million now but hey, I bet it's a million dollar question! (See what I mean about everything's money?) - (Freaking ironic.)

No comments:


"Sometimes we seem to see hate more than love as we have that haunting confusion between both."
The leader in obivious ways but he is scared and humbled away when the truth arise one day. He fed the rich and abandon the poor, he taught the blind to walk and he helped the lame to see. Nothing more than it seems, as how contradicing life can be. To seek that path still in search to be enlighten by our very ownself and to forget knowing the rest.

About Me

Singapore, Serangoon Gardens.
I wouldnt say I'm that much of a simple guy who lives down the street with little motives running through his head, cause that wouldnt be me neither would it be that simple. Like most and all others, a man who transits between his faith, hopes and downs back to reality where either or neither both be found. If I was to state me as simple, then it places my aims to the test. Defying the oughts of nothing but the simple truth, sad and drown, torn yet driven to find out why and the reason he was brought here in aid to comprehend his fingerprints and the complex map as if a form of hardcore tattoo arcoss his palm printed; he urges his story to unfold, crushes the young chapters but alike an innocent kid, places it under his pillow. What will you do if you came back to life and held the object and subject who killed you? To meet and yet be part of the director of this enticing thriller yet dramatic plot of my life.